Wednesday 28 August 2013

AN UNEXPECTED TURN !!!

“Why are you looking so pale? Go for a complete bloodcount(CBC)”, said the doctor to me. On the basis of that report I was admitted to the hospital as the counts were remarkably low. Injections were given, platelets were transfused, but the condition was the same. It was my first experience of getting admitted to a hospital so I was a little excited, unaware of the surprise stored in for me.

Bone marrow biopsy was done as the doctor had a suspicion that I might have blood cancer. His suspicion was proved to be true as the report was positive. It was “B-ALL” (B cell- Acute lymphoblastic leukemia). I was then taken to Tata Memorial Hospital where again a biopsy was done. This biopsy was not a biopsy. It was like a drilling. It was very painful. I was crying and shouting like anything. But that was over and the report was again positive, “B-ALL”.

I was not aware about Leukemia as what it is. And no one even explained it to me. So basically I was unaware of my disease except the term leukemia. So I googled the term and it was then when I got to know that I have blood cancer. I was a little shocked but not disheartened. I took this news as a challenge and was all ready to face it.

My treatment started in the month of February, 2012. First chemo was just an injection in the veins and I was like O! Wow! That’s it. It was followed by a no. of injections in veins, in muscles, in the spinal cord and the oral medicines. Chemotherapy has a no. of side effects like hair loss, vomiting, nausea, weight loss, swelling, at times insomnia, constipation, etc. It all started within one month of the treatment.

I used to vomit thrice or four times a day at one point of time. I started losing my hair so I got my head shaved. Believe me, I was not disheartened or depressed because I had faith in the Almighty and myself. I was ready to fight the Cancer. I was the chosen one – God’s warrior.

At times, I was sad because I was not able to go to college or for outings but with the support of my family and friends. I finally completed all the cycles of intensive chemotherapy and radiation. I fought against all the side effects and infections; got admitted to the hospital for a no. of times but never lost hope of recovering and here I am now with 0% or no blast, i.e. no cancer cells in my blood.

I am now in the second phase of the chemotherapy, i.e. maintenance which is for 2yrs and includes only oral medicines and regular blood tests.

My hair has started growing. It’s baby soft, jet black and curly.

All my bruises and scars have gone. Everything which was highlighted during the therapy – hair loss, weight fluctuations, loss of appetite, bruises, etc. were temporary and now everything is back to normal.

I am happy and proud to be a fighter and now a survivor.

A short message for all the FIGHTERS – “You are the chosen ones. God wants you to win this war. So do it religiously. Follow what the doctors say. All the best”.  

NEDAL ZOYA

1 comment: