Sunday 4 August 2013

Where is "self" in the community?

Currently, I joined Pradan organization which is working on livelihood security in eight states viz. Rajasthan, M.P. , Bihar, Jharkhand, Orrisa, Assam, Chattishgarh, W.B. Right now, I am in Godda district, Jharkhand. Godda district comes under Santhal Paragana region. In Gooda, I placed in Boarijore block which have 59.7% of tribal population having Santhal and Pahariya tribes. 

For 20 days, I was placed in caste as well as tribal village (10 days each) respectively in order to experience the village reality. Apart from that, I explored that where am “I” in the village? I can say that I tried to focus on 'self' during the village stay. I did nothing like collecting data or ontological inquiry for village profile. Only, I interacted with the villagers and tried to mingle with their daily experiences. I was roaming around the village and observed the village life. Also, I am trying to learn ghatiyari and santhali language. Nevertheless, I also tried to adjust myself in the new organization. For my good fortune, there is no boss-peon relationship. Everybody is called by their name.  

During the village stay, many things strike in my mind. During the past 5 years of my TISS life (BSW in RD & MSW), I had never been look out on myself. I did rigorous field work in rural areas without any thought that why am I doing this? My heart was bleeding when I saw pathetic condition of marginalized communities like Dalit and adivasis. But, I never thought that why should my heart bleed for them? Why should I care for them? Why should I felicitate them for their rights? Only because I read and experiences their conditions in the classroom or in field? Why should I work for them? Nevertheless, I read and experience everything but never experienced the "self" in myself. I recalled my field work presentation or I.C. and G.C. in TISS where professor or my field work guide asked me about my observation and learning only. And I lost myself in the vicious cycle of observation and learning which I got from the so called field work.  At the end of 5 years, I was inspired to work in rural areas with marginalized communities but I found that something is still missing in me and my friends. 

I found that we are more focusing on communities and their various issues. We read many books which gave many perspectives about rural as well as urban areas. But, we never focused on “self” which is equally important in the field. A student who has mixed emotions viz. anger, stress, agony, happiness, frustration and depression never shared his/her “self” to anybody.

I think that we all have reasons and belief to do something in our life. Believe me, if you all look in yourself and ask that what I did to myself till this date, you will get partial or incomplete answer.

We need to SHARE MYSELF TO EVERYBODY!

This story is incomplete because still I am searching myself in the rural area.

More will come…..

I hope that everybody is in their own precious mood.

Take care!
Love
Akshat                             

No comments:

Post a Comment